Bayer is a global enterprise with core competencies in the Life Science fields of health care and agriculture. Its products and services are designed to benefit people and improve their quality of life. At Bayer you have the opportunity to be part of a culture where we value the passion of our employees to innovate and give them the power to change.
Pepper Commercial Development Breeder
Your tasks and responsibilities
We are seeking a Commercial Development Breeder to join the Vegetable Breeding & Testing Team in Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA). This role will be based at our site in El Ejido in Spain and will support our Pepper breeding pipeline in Spain. The incumbent will lead the assessment and deployment of new Pepper lines and hybrids and will be part of a team charged with influencing and impacting the future design of ongoing breeding programs, methods, genotypic selection, field testing, and advancement decisions. The successful candidate will work with an exceptional team of plant breeders, data scientists, field testing teams, and product managers in a fast-paced R&D environment to accelerate our pipeline and product development efforts and increase efficiency of breeding operations.
- Partner with business leaders across the organization to understand key challenges and business questions to drive the global advancement of new Pepper products
- Administer breeding nurseries, interact with scientists and breeders on and off-site to support and advance Pepper and other vegetable pipelines
- Provide leadership in data preparation, cleansing and QA of raw sources and design optimal visualization solutions
- Lead and participate in execution of several operations: planning, planting, field/plot maintenance, data collection, harvest, seed processing, drying, packaging, shipping of materials
- Utilization of research automation equipment such as planters, harvesters, hand-held computers for note taking, and participate in computer related activities to support data collection and QC
- Analyze and interpret data and provide guidance for key strategic changes based on learning's
- Strong interaction with commercial, supply chain and regulatory functions to drive a successful business
- People leadership with focus on creating team environment for individuals to develop and succeed
- Developing a broad knowledge of global internal and external advances and plans pertaining to new breeding methodologies and tools
- Perform safety inspections and assist in providing safety training and guidance to field personnel
- Work closely with other research sites to keep program operating efficiently
- Participate with team to successfully maintain Quality Standards and support the Quality Management System
- Ability to work extended hours during the peak planting and harvesting seasons. Overnight travel for training and other meetings are likely during the year
Who you are
- MSc in Plant Breeding, Genetics, Crop Science, Horticulture or related field of study with minimum of 10 years working in agricultural areas with field data and products. PhD candidates will be considered
- Strong knowledge of genetics, statistics, and exploratory data analyses
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Experience presenting results to varied audiences & influencing project direction/strategy
- Demonstrated ability to foster & maintain relationships at all levels of the organization
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively in a team-based and cross-functional team environment
- Strong sense of ownership: Ability to initiate, coordinate and lead new projects
- Prioritizing among multiple tasks/projects according to business value/needs
- Passion to grow and willingness to be intellectually challenged; willingness to influence and inspire others
- Prior experience leading a team of scientists
- A passion for building highly automated systems
Bayer successfully completed the acquisition of Monsanto in June 2018, bringing together Monsanto’s leadership in seeds and plant traits with Bayer’s leadership in chemical and biological crop protection. By joining forces, we will create even more extensive career opportunities for talent around the world. We’re a global team working to shape agriculture through breakthrough innovation that will benefit farmers, consumers, and our planet.
Bayer offers a wide variety of competitive compensation and benefits programs. If you meet the requirements of this unique opportunity, and you have the "Passion to Innovate" and the "Power to Change", we encourage you to apply now. Job postings will remain open for a minimum of ten business days and are subject to immediate closure thereafter without additional notice. To all recruitment agencies: Bayer does not accept unsolicited third party resumes.
HR Talent Acquisition
Bayer Hispania, S.L.
Avda. Baix Llobregat, 3 – 5
08970 Sant Joan Despí (Barcelona), España
Tel +34 (93) 495 6999
Fax +34 (93) 495 6998